Quote of the Month
"An important moment for [James] Baldwin came when he and his friend, the modernist painter Beauford Delaney, were standing on a street corner in the Village, waiting for the light to change. Baldwin recounts in The Paris Review that Beauford 'pointed down and said, 'Look.' I looked and all I saw was water. And he said, 'Look again,' which I did, and I saw oil on the water and the city reflected in that puddle.' In that moment, Baldwin felt he'd been taught how to see, and how to trust what he saw, felt that from that moment on he could see the world differently than he had before."
—The Writer's Almanac
More at Quotations for Writers
News see also: News Archive
- Poets! "Writing Poetry: Next Steps" will run October 4 - November 8 through the Craven Community College Adult Enrichment Program.
- Entered the Robert Phillips Poetry Chapbook Prize at Texas Review Press, and my manuscript made it to the top 13 out of 116 entries. Wow! And this is cool: the winner, Evana Bodiker, is from North Carolina. So, we New Bernian poets are inviting her to read at one of our open mics in 2018, after her book, Ephemera, comes out.
- "Stalker" will be included in Pacific Review's themed issue, Errant Mythologies.
- The forthcoming anthology Waves: A Confluence of Women's Voices has selected "Targets."
- Sitting up there on The RavensPerch: four poems!
- "First Taste" accepted for publication by Flying South 2017.
- "Gallery-sitting" named a semi-finalist for the 2017 James Applewhite Poetry Prize sponsored by North Carolina Literary Review.
You may order my chapbook,
Blossom and Loss, right here
with PayPal. Orders also may be placed through your local bookseller, Longleaf Press, or
Amazon. Thank you!
...what if she did not go home?
She snuffs the thought,
hardened into what she was,
—from "The Candle Party" by Jeanne Julian
See The RavensPerch
"Summertime" was selected by Atlantic Coast Landscaping to appear on the banner they are sponsoring for the Banner Project promoting the arts and civic pride in New Bern. "My Thoughts Ever Bend Toward You" (below) received Best In Show honors from the Coastal Photo Club in its spring competition. "Couple on St. Peters Roof" and "On the Road to a Broken Heart" (below) placed first and second in the monochrome division.
"Bridge Riders" was accepted into the juried invitational art show, The Bicycle: Art Meets Form" at Theater Art Galleries (TAG) in High Point, North Carolina.