...absorbed collared lizard’s gaze,
trod lichen crusts, dodged potholes,
scaled the so dominant
Colorado monolith, with boundless
sunlit sky as his own skull
clouded by two thoughts:
Woolworth will build a tower twice as tall.
What if this is lost.
—from "Monument Maker" by Jeanne Julian
Forthcoming in High Desert Journal
"One in Every Crowd" and "Bench, Casco Bay" are two of the monochrome series of images included in my gallery space at Community Artists Gallery and Studios, an artisan co-op in New Bern. I guess I have a thing about empty seats!
News see also: News Archive
- Safe from Hurricane Florence, having left home. Shocked at the devastation in my city of New Bern, saddened by the hardships and tragedy in the storm's wake.
- Delighted to announce that Prolific Press accepted my chapbook manuscript, Relic and Myth, for publication!
- High Desert Journal will publish "Monument Maker."
- Thanks to the North Carolina Poetry Society for offering the 2018 Susan Laughter Meyers Fellowship at the Weymouth Center. The recipient is Len Lawson, and I was selected for an honorable mention, along with Michael Gaspeny.
- "Prelude to Lust" was a finalist for the North Carolina Literary Review's James Applewhite Prize.
- "Burial Ground, James City": recently nominated for the "Best of the Net" anthology by Wraparound South.
- Delighted to accept an award for third prize in the poetry category (for "First Apartment") in the contest leading up to Pamlico Writers Group's forthcoming anthology, "Flavors of Home." Deborah Doolittle, a fine poet and teacher, was the judge. Deborah has a new book, Floribunda, out from Main Street Rag.
You may order my chapbook,
Blossom and Loss, right here
with PayPal. Orders also may be placed through your local bookseller (click on badge below) or Longleaf Press.
Quote of the Month
“If the book is true, it will find an audience that is meant to read it.”
More at Quotations for Writers
At the awards gathering with Pamlico Writers Group president Sherri Lupton Hollister, author of the novel Chrome Pink.