Quote of the Month
"I’m not a formalist, per se, but I tend toward narrative. I believe in the self, and I believe in meaning. And I believe that poetry is instrumental in the process of effecting and uniting both the self and meaning. In other words, I’m a square, one who hasn’t always enjoyed American poetry’s last decade or so, what with its flarfing and skitteriness; I have been, however, encouraged to see poetry turn away from that dismissive, too-cool-for-school irony and back toward the self, experience, and attempted understanding."
--James Davis May, reviewing Chen Chen's book, When I Grow up I Want to Be a List of Further Possibilities
More at Quotations for Writers
"Summertime" was selected by Atlantic Coast Landscaping to appear on the banner they are sponsoring for the Banner Project promoting the arts and civic pride in New Bern. "My Thoughts Ever Bend Toward You" (below) received Best In Show honors from the Coastal Photo Club in its spring competition. "Couple on St. Peters Roof" and "On the Road to a Broken Heart" (below) placed first and second in the monochrome division.
You may order my chapbook,
Blossom and Loss, right here
with PayPal. Orders also may be placed through your local bookseller (click on badge below) or Longleaf Press.
...what if she did not go home?
She snuffs the thought,
hardened into what she was,
—from "The Candle Party" by Jeanne Julian
See The RavensPerch
"Bridge Riders" was accepted into the juried invitational art show, The Bicycle: Art Meets Form" at Theater Art Galleries (TAG) in High Point, North Carolina.
News see also: News Archive
- Poets! "Writing Poetry: Next Steps" will run October 4 - November 8 through the Craven Community College Adult Enrichment Program.
- Wow, enjoyed participating in the Carolina Mountains Literary Festival! Fellow Longleaf Press poet Anne Maren-Hogan, author of Laying the Past in the Light, and I read together, alternating poem by poem to let the themes of each resonate each with the other. Heard some wonderful readings by poets Ray McManus, Adrian Rice, and Shelby Stephenson, and mind-opening presentations by authors Marjorie Hudson, Ronni Lundy, Hannah Palmer, and James Reston. What a welcoming and well-coordinated event (the twelfth annual!). Thank you, CMLF.
- Entered the Robert Phillips Poetry Chapbook Prize at Texas Review Press, and my manuscript made it to the top 13 out of 116 entries. And this is cool: the winner, Evana Bodiker, is from North Carolina. So, we New Bernian poets are inviting her to read at one of our open mics in 2018, after her book, Ephemera, comes out.
- "Stalker" will be included in Pacific Review's themed issue, Errant Mythologies.
- The forthcoming anthology Waves: A Confluence of Women's Voices has selected "Targets."
- Sitting up there on The RavensPerch: four poems!
- "First Taste" accepted for publication by Flying South 2017.
- "Gallery-sitting" named a semi-finalist for the 2017 James Applewhite Poetry Prize sponsored by North Carolina Literary Review.