- Wow, enjoyed participating in the Carolina Mountains Literary Festival! I read with fellow Longleaf Press poet Anne Maren-Hogan, author of Laying the Past in the Light. We alternated, poem by poem, to let the themes of each resonate each with the other. Heard some wonderful readings by poets Ray McManus, Adrian Rice, and Shelby Stephenson, and mind-opening presentations by authors Marjorie Hudson, Ronni Lundy, Hannah Palmer, and James Reston. What a welcoming and well-coordinated event (the twelfth annual). Thank you, CMLF.
News Archive 2017
- "Summertime" was selected by Atlantic Coast Landscaping to appear on the banner they are sponsoring for the Banner Project
promoting the arts and civic pride in New Bern.
- "My Thoughts Ever Bend Toward You"received Best In Show honors from the Coastal Photo Club in its spring competition. "Couple on St. Peters Roof" and "On the Road to a Broken Heart" placed first and second in the monochrome division.
"Bridge Riders" was accepted into the juried invitational art show, The Bicycle: Art Meets Form" at Theater Art Galleries (TAG) in High Point, North Carolina.
Fifteen of my photographs illustrate the Winter 2017 issue of Snapdragon: a Journal of Art and Healing. The cover shot is of an abandoned farmhouse in New Bern.
- "Weighing Silver" appears in the Summer 2017 issue of Poetry Quarterly. This is a poem begun at a retreat—so gratitude as ever to our Neuse River Writers Group.
- My manuscript made it to the top 13 out of 116 entries in the Robert Phillips Poetry Chapbook Prize at Texas Review Press, and And this is cool: the winner, Evana Bodiker, is from North Carolina. So, we New Bernian poets are inviting her to read at one of our open mics in 2018, after her book, Ephemera, comes out.
- "Stalker" will be included in Pacific Review's themed issue, Errant Mythologies.
- The forthcoming anthology Waves: A Confluence of Women's Voices has selected "Targets." (Not sure when this will appear; seems like something of a delay there....)
- Sitting up there on The RavensPerch: four poems!
- "First Taste" is published in Flying South 2017.
- "Gallery-sitting" named a semi-finalist for the 2017 James Applewhite Poetry Prize sponsored by North Carolina Literary Review.
- "Leaving the Ceremony" was published in Ponder Review. (For all you writers: it had been rejected by 7 other journals, before assorted revisions. But, it was printed with altered punctuation that didn't make sense to me. Go figure.)
- Long-listed in in the Don't Talk to Me About Love Poetry Contest 2017: "Just (us) in Time."
- Longlisted in The Rialto Nature and Place Poetry Competition: "The Loneliness of the Mortal Coil."
- "Close Calls" received an Honorable Mention in this year's Thomas H. McDill Award competition sponsored by the North Carolina Poetry Society. I read the at the spring meeting in Southern Pines, NC, at the end of May, and heard lots of wonderful work from students and poets from across the state.
- My poem "Force" is in the Spring 2017 issue of Snapdragon: A Journal of Arts and Healing, with the theme of "Resistance."
- Rarely is there a lack of discouragement when your inbox delivers a rejection note. But also, rarely are those notes personalized. Thank you, editors of One, for your graciousness.
-Three enthusiastic poets completed my "Writing Poetry: Next Steps" course, offered through the Adult Enrichment Program at Craven Community College. They came away with many revised and new poems.